Manager’s Monthly Report October 2017

Manager’s Monthly Report

Ron Fussell our operations manager has presented this report of the operations and project updates for October 2017.
The crew responded to 14 service calls, 8 were markings and the others were turn offs, turn on calls, inspect customer shut off valves. There were 13 private leaks identified by AMR and 3 service line leaks repaired by Chris, Mike and Matt. All of the other leaks have been repaired or turned off. The crew finished crack filling until next spring. Juan is heading up a meter maintenance and meter location project which when completed will be entered into our AMR program. The crew has paved 10 more tons of asphalt in various locations. Shelbie had 12 stock transfers in October.

During the month of October we purchased 1,296,284 gallons of water from CLAWA and our wells produced 854,910 gallons. During the month of September we purchased 1,301,520 gallons of water from CLAWA and our wells produced 950,358 gallons.

The total precipitation for the month of October was 0.03”.

Tank Site Update
James Owens of NV-5 met with Ron and Priscilla on November 2, 2017. Mr. Owens advised that NV-5 is still waiting on the lot merger and the issuance of a new APN number for the Sycamore lots which Mr. McDonald has been working on for over a year. The new property tax number is critical for the Conditional Use Permit. James showed us a form called the San Bernardino County Pre-Application and Conference Worksheet which is a description of the project. He will complete the form and submit it to the County for review. The next step will be for the County to call AVMSC and set up a meeting in Mid-December 2017 to discuss the project and tell us if there are any additional steps required. James Owens said that he has attended these meetings in the past for projects that he has worked on. Usually the attendees include the Building and Safety Dept., the Fire Dept., and the Health Dept. James said that he would attend the County meeting with Ron and Chris.
At this time CLAWA doesn’t want to see our documents or plans until they are complete. Regarding the CEQA document, the County of San Bernardino will start the process in the spring to determine what endangered species may be in the area.
James is going to send Ron a sheet to identify the valves located in the area of the new tanks on Altamont. He wants to know which ones are working and which ones no longer work. Ron and Juan will provide him with this information. The transmission pipeline will be disconnected and will go from being 8” in diameter to 4”. The booster pumps pump at 78 – 80 GPM and a 4” pipe will be fine for the transmission line that will travel along and feed the new water storage tank. AVMSC will provide an air compressor for the pneumatic pump because the system will need to be re-pressurized once or twice a year. This pump will provide the six houses on Altamont with 80 – 85 PSI which is something that they have never had. They will need to contact a licensed plumber to have a pressure reducing valve installed on their service line. James said he could prepare the bid packet for AVMSC that will go out to the tank suppliers and AVMSC will need to select a general contractor and we would require that general contractor to use a specific tank supplier of our choice for the fabrication and installation. Unfortunately because of the delays with the lot merger and acquisition of the new APN and the delays to the completion of the CEQA documents and the Conditional Use Permit the anticipated date for groundbreaking may be delayed for several months but we still hope to break ground for the new tanks by sometime during the summer 2018.

Projects Update
The Well #3 rehabilitation is complete, and the Board has decided to postpone any work on Well #7 until the new control panel has been installed at Well #5. Juan is currently doing meter maintenance and mapping both water meter and valve locations.

Update on the Booster Pumps
Aqua Sierra has everything running properly with the booster pumps. The new VFD has now cut our Edison costs by nearly 50% here at the office saving us $400 – $600 per month. Our savings should pay for the entire project within 18 months.

Update on Road Repairs
The priority #3 road repair site at 565 Carroll Drive has been paved over and stabilized with 3 tons of asphalt by our crew which should prevent any road failures until next year when a more permanent job can be completed similar to what we did at 503 West Victoria. So now all three of our critical road erosion areas have been addressed and stabilized to prevent major failures over the winter and we should be able to have all permanently repaired next summer.

Mountain residents have expressed concerns about the airplane noise and the FAA rerouting commercial airliners over Lake Arrowhead. A shareholder submitted a copy of the Mountain News article regarding the aircraft noise and the environmental chemical impacts affecting our mountain and reducing all of our property values. We will have Shelbie acquire the petition and we request both shareholders and residents come to our office and sign the petition.

Ron has commended both the staff and the residents for their diligent efforts toward water conservation which has exceeded the Governor’s 25% reduction rate. He would like to encourage our shareholders, renters and visitors to continue in their conservation efforts. In the coming months Ron and the staff will offer the residents new opportunities for further water conservation.

Over the past several months the mountain and the Villas has received an exceptional amount of precipitation. In January 2017 alone we received 19.5 inches of precipitation. We are very grateful for the rain and snow that we have received, however, on February 8, 2017 the State Water Resources Control Board issued a memo extending Southern California’s Water Conservation Regulations and Prohibitions against wasting water.
Although we have had one wet winter season so far and this has helped to ease the drought effects the State anticipates that our drought conditions, especially in Southern California, will return and may last for many years.
Recently the office has received numerous calls and questions about lifting our current building moratorium. We have no plans to lift our building moratorium anytime within the foreseeable future as water availability is only one of the factors influencing our need for a building moratorium. Our problems with inadequate off-street parking, access for emergency vehicles and the difficulty for our snow plow operators to find places to safely push the snow are all results of past over-development in the Villas. Also, our current full time residency is approximately 40% – 50% but if that were to expand to potentially 80% – 90% we would not have the water or the facilities to supply our community. So the moratorium will not be going away and we request that people not call the office regarding this issue going away.

The company encourages shareholders, vacationers, visitors and renters to continue to visit the different areas of this website for good information such as the By-Laws, Company Mission Statement, Calendar of Events, some rules and regulations, the Annual Water Quality Report and a list of phone numbers for associate local agencies including LACSD, the Sheriff’s Dept., Fire Dept., Animal Control, Building and Safety and the Edison Company. The office can be contacted at or by phone at 337-4259.